Monday, October 31, 2011

It's Monday, what are you reading? (14)

Hosted by The Book Journey
I actually loved all of the books I read this week, which was a refreshing change as I seem to be picking up quite a few that aren't quite as delicious as I would have hoped lately. Not sure exactly how much reading I'll manage this week as I have an insane amount to do and I think I might try doing NaNoWriMo, but I'll manage my best.

Last week I finished reading:

Liesel and Po by Lauren Oliver
Loved loved loved this, incredibly whimsical and of course Lauren Oliver's writing is amazing. I know it's intended as a middle grade, but it's appropriate for anybody because it's so wonderful. I definitely need to purchase a hardcopy in the future.

Lark by Tracey Porter
I didn't realize this had the fantastical element it did (ghost girl) but it worked in a spooky and heartbreaking way. This is a little slip of a book but it definitely left an impact, I just wanted a little more from the ending.

Love Alone by Emmanuel Kattan
Just finished this earlier tonight,  so many quotable bits. It was kinda Milan Kundera meets Simon Van Booy and the result is an incredibly beautiful but slightly twisted love child. I may have to test my rusty French and pick up Kattan's other novel in its original language.

What I plan to read this week:

Eating Dirt by Charlotte Gill
I didn't get a chance to start this memoir about tree planting yet but perhaps this will be its lucky week?

Every You, Every Me by David Levithan

I was insanely excited when the latest Levithan- with pictures!- showed up in my mailbox so of course I am totally skipping ahead on my reading list to dig into this dark and creepy tale; not quite classic Levithan from Will Grayson, Will Grayson and Boy Meets Boy but I am certainly intrigued.

A Train in Winter by Caroline Moorehead
I was really looking forward to this historical fiction set during WW2, and then two copies showed up in the past week, so now I have double the reason to read it! Plus, it's for an upcoming book tour.

What are you reading this Monday?

P.S. It's officially my 23rd birthday now. EEEK. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm definitely gonna have to check out Liesl and Po, it sounds amazing, and I'm glad to hear you loved it so much! :D well Lark sounds like it was a good choice for around Halloween, but it's too bad the ending wasn't more satisfying for you...I think this is one that I got from you back in September...so I'll have to read it sometime. :D You can read in French...I'm jealous, of course, I guess you did live in Montreal, so I shouldn't be too surprised! haha I learned French in high school...but I seriously retained next to nothing. :P

    All of your books for this week sounds great, especially the Leviathan, I hope you enjoy them Zoë! :D

    and Happy Birthday! *insert me singing you Happy birthday very off key, loudly, and with some major exuberance...also some falsetto near the end* *finishing*....Haaapppppyyyy Birrrrtttthhhdddaayyy to yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooou (that's where the falsetto was :P)!

    haha Happy Reading this week, Zoë, and I hope you have a fabulous birthday and Halloween today! :D
    Ambur

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ! :)
    I just discovered your blog and he's pretty cool ! I love so much the covers of english books (> "Lark" is beautiful.)
    I'm a french girl and I have also a website with book reviews.^^
    I wish you a happy birthday and a happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to you and Happy Halloween to you :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!