Monday, October 10, 2011

It's Monday, what are you reading? (11)

This meme is hosted at Book Journey

Well, all I can say is it sure is nice to finally be reading again, even if it isn't vast amounts. I'm also making changes to the way I write reviews (basically cutting summaries except for a sentence or two highlighted at the beginning) and it's already been a huge stress relief. I feel confident I can finally catch up on reviews at some point... hopefully by the end of 2011. And hopefully the only reason for that isn't that I will have hardly read anything to review!

Last week I finished reading: 

Extras by Scott Westerfeld
Although technically the final book in the Uglies series this was pretty much a standalone after the fact novel. And if I think about it that way, it was not bad. As a continuation of the Uglies series? Kinda a letdown.
A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan
Wow, this one really surprised me. I thought it was more a fairytale retelling but it's actually a soft sci fi, definitely would recommend to fans of Across the Universe and although I enjoyed the whole book, the ending in particular really hit me. I will definitely pick up whatever Sheehan writes next, and I'm glad to see from interviews with her that although she may write "companions" set in the same universe, she wants every book in a series to be able to work as a standalone as well and be read in any order. I love that.
The Grief of Others by Leah Hager Cohen
I was pretty sure I'd never finish this one as I had been reading it two and a half weeks. And Sunday at 11:15pm I did. So that's good. I didn't hate it, Cohen's writing is quite lovely, but about 2/3 in I got bored. I also could live without the last chapter. Just.... no.

What I plan to read this week: 
Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan

This seems to be THE novel to read this year, what with it having been short listed for the Giller and the Booker. I'm only a chapter in but quite intrigued, hopefully the dialect/language used in the book isn't too overwhelming and I can get immersed easily. 

Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi
I'm about a third done this book on audio, it's for an upcoming tour and the cover definitely caught my eye. The story is intriguing and quite strange, reminds me a little of Centuries of June by Keith Donohue in that way, I'm not quite sure what to think of it yet and I will be interested to see how it comes together in the end.

Waiting For Robert Capa by Susana Fortes

I'm feeling optimistic! This book has been on my TBR list for quite awhile now and with WW2 history, photography, and love, it is something I am really excited to read and just haven't gotten a chance yet. It's not too long so I'm hoping I get a chance to at least make a dent in it this week. Plus, it'll mean I'm all caught up on book tours for October which would be nice.

What are you reading this Monday?

6 comments:

  1. I agree about Extras...as we've already talked about it, I'll leave it at that. haha I really like the gadgets in that one though. ;D

    I definitely want to read A Long Long Sleep now, you've got me intrigued, Zoe! I wanted to read it before, but now I really want to read it! :D

    Yay for finishing The Grief of Others...and don't feel bad, remember, I've been reading that one anthology for months now...although I think it can be considered abandoned...but I will pick it up again, I will! lol

    I haven't heard of the three you're planning on reading this week, but I look forward to your comments on them when you get to them. Waiting for Robert Capa definitely has me interested, it sounds like a great story, one that might break your heart, but will be a stunning read.

    Happy Reading, Zoe! :D I hope you get lots of reading done this week! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Fox and Half Blood Blues are very intriguing. Enjoy your books! You're welcome to visit for a look at some of the: books on my shelves listed along the right hand column of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Long Long Sleep sounds interesting! I hadn't heard of the book but I like SF type books. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel as if I am always behind on reviews and no sooner do I get caught up then I have another long list to tackle - it's a never ending process!

    Stop by my It's Monday post if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't get into the Uglies series, it helped to make me realise I didn't enjoy dystopian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the set up of A Long Long Sleep but thought the extensive texting with Otto got cumbersome.

    I guess it was a pretty normal week of reading for me. Please come see what I've read.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!