Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: The Tiger's Wife

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

I admit The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht mostly caught my eye after I saw a supportive quote from one of my favourite authors, Colum McCann, winner of the 2009 National Book Award prize for Let the Great World Spin, who said that "Téa Obrecht is the most thrilling literary discovery in years." After reading that I knew I had to get my hands on this book although unfortunately it's not published until March 8 2011 by Random House. The publisher's blurb says:

The time: the present.
The place: a Balkan country ravaged by years of conflict.


Natalia, a young doctor, is on a mission of mercy to an orphanage when she receives word of her beloved grandfather’s death far from their home under circumstances shrouded in confusion. Remembering childhood stories her grandfather once told her, Natalia becomes convinced that he spent his last days searching for "the deathless man," a vagabond who claimed to be immortal. As Natalia struggles to understand why her grandfather, a deeply rational man, who go on such a farfetched journey, she stumbles across a clue that leads her to the extraordinary story of the tiger’s wife. 


An involving mystery, an emotionally riveting family story, and a wondrous evocation of an unfamiliar world.

It sounds like a rich and wonderful story and with the rave reviews Obreht is already getting I am certainly waiting to get a chance to read her debut novel, The Tiger's Wife.

What book are you lusting over this Wednesday?

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Hope you come by and see my WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I featured this one last week and share your excitement for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you enjoy it...sounds good.

    Here's mine:

    Click on my name....

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!