Monday, May 28, 2012

It's Monday, what are you reading? (26)


I'm actually moving starting early Monday morning (we have a 54 hour drive ahead of us, back to Nova Scotia from Alberta) so I'm posting this early. I've got a couple posts ready, but if I'm not around much this week it's because of the travel. My boyfriend and I are also stopping by Montreal for a couple days, because that's where my family is. Anyway I'm hoping to get a couple books read anyway, as this list clearly shows, but I'm not sure how soon I'll be able to review them.

Last week I finished reading: 
The Last Days by Scott Westerfeld
Definitely liked the first book Peeps better than it's sequel. Somehow Westerfeld makes five points of view work, but the story itself had trouble keeping my interest.

The Guardians by Sarah Manguso
Like Manguso's last memoir, I wish she'd cut some of the science (pages detailing a medication side effect) but it was worth it for the 80% of the book that was pure poetry– a much higher percentage than her first memoir, The Two Kinds of Decay and probably the reason I preferred this one.

Teen Boat! by Dave Roman and John Green
Whoops! When I got this in the mail I thought the illustrations were by some guy named Dave Roman (actually a well-established author of graphic novels) and that John Green, like Looking For Alaska John Green, was the writer. Turns out John Green is also the name of an illustrator, with a few titles under his belt. Once I got that through my head, I was in for a cute and enjoyable boat-ride of a book.

Struck by Jennifer Bosworth
I'm not sure how I feel about this one... there were aspects I really liked, and some things I just didn't quite get. I need to ponder it a bit more.

Take A Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg
Buddy read with Ambur! Even though she hasn't read it yet... she will soon, and we'll discuss it next week. It was cute, it didn't blow me away but it was an easy, fun read.

What I plan to read this week:
The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker
I read almost half of this one and it's awesome, I wish I had gotten a chance to read more but moving got in the way. Excited to finish it soon.

First Comes Love by Katie Kacvinsky
Another one I expected to finish but got busy with the move, lovely writing and description though sometimes it feels like there is a lot of saying what people are doing and very little of them actually doing it, just a quip or two of dialogue thrown in the mix. But again, only just started so it'll be interesting to see how it progresses.

Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer
Surprise mailbox ARC, but I want to finish it before I visit my family (this upcoming weekend) because my stepmom is a huge Jodi Picoult fan and I think she might enjoy this. I'm a tiny bit skeptical of the whole "teenage daughter writes book with massively best-selling mother" but hopefully I can read the book without thinking about that.

The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Córdova
I have an ARC of this one and it looks amazing! I wanted to spread out my mermaid reading, but it's time for another one, and I hope it's just as awesome as I think it will be.

What are you reading this Monday? 

4 comments:

  1. I just finished the Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman today, and I really enjoyed it! Now I have an ARC called Victorio's War by John Wilson (BC author I've never heard of!) and it's my first ARC, so I'm pretty excited to get into it! Have a great move!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Struck cover!
    And I finished I Am Alive by Cameron Jace which I like a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to read that Piccoult book - I would like to see how here writing works with a second author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot JodiP was writing with her daughter, I look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!