Monday, May 14, 2012

It's Monday, what are you reading? (24)

Hosted by The Book Journey
Last week I finished reading: 
That Boy Red by Rachna Gilmore
The back of this book compares it to Anne of Green Gables and that's pretty accurate. It's depression era PEI boy growing up type story, a fast and easy read and probably a good addition to the Canadian canon of literature for its little slice of history. It didn't blow me away, but it was funny at times.

While He Was Away by Karen Schreck 
Conflicted over this one, there were parts I liked, and there were parts that were just so overwhelmingly cheesy it hurts. Plus, Penna seems so dependent on her boyfriend David, but it was nice to see her grow and develop as the story progressed. There was a twist I didn't see coming though.

Flock by Wendy Delsol
Even though it left me a little confused at times to the point that I had to reread pages to figure out what was going on, I enjoyed the conclusion to this trilogy. I'll miss Katla and her friends, but I'm sure I'll be picking up whatever Delsol writes next.

What I plan to read this week:

All these books have been previously featured so I'm not going to write about them again. But hopefully I'll have a chance to finish at least the first two this week. I haven't started #3 and #4 yet and with my master's defense on Friday I doubt I'll get to them, but I'm going to leave them there and be optimistic!


What are you reading this Monday? 

8 comments:

  1. I think I know which twist you're talking about for While He Was Away...and I agree, I so was not expecting that, it kind of reinforced my whole opinion that it really shouldn't have been marketed as much as a romance as it is...just saying. :P lol

    Good luck with your defense! I hope all your prep is going well, and that Insurgent is working out as a great book to read in between your prep! :D

    Happy Reading, Zoë...and I hope your defense goes amazingly! :D
    Ambur

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children and really enjoyed it. Hope you do to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I'd have finished Insurgent by now, but it turns out that I need to refresh myself on the characters before I start it! (I seem to do better reading series all in a row.)

    Here's my
    It's Monday! What Are You Reading?
    Hope you'll stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am curious about "Forbidden."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard really good things about Miss Peregrine's book and might just have to pick it up one of these days.

    Have a great week!
    Kristin @ Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am starting Insurgent today... it will be the first book in the chair...LOL I will post about that tomorrow morning ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss Peregrine's is really good...but beware - it leaves it wide open for a sequel. :)

    Happy reading this week!
    What are YOU reading??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of that particular book by Joan Didion. I had thought The Year of Magical Thinking was her latest. Interesting?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!