Monday, August 01, 2011

It’s Monday, what are you reading?

So this is a meme hosted at Book Journey that I always love reading about on other peoples' blogs but it seemed like too much effort to maintain. Well, maybe I'm feeling optimistic because today is a holiday but I am going to give it a try, at least occasionally. I think it's a great way to keep on track and also let you know what I've been reading since reviews tend to be posted a bit after I've read books these days! Of course, you can always check out what I've finished reading so far this year on my 2011 Reads page.

Plus, I figure writing brief thoughts on what I read might help me when it comes to writing reviews later.

Last week I finished reading: 

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand on audiobook
Surprising considering I tend to shy away from paranormal romance, but after an unsolicited ARC showed up in my mailbox a few months ago I decided to try out the audiobook. I actually really enjoyed it, Clara was a great main character and I'll be excited to read the sequel, Hallowed, when it is released early next year.

Blood Red Road by Moira Young
I started this one while on vacation and the language used, which includes a lot of misspelling to give the reader an idea of Saba's voice and way of talking, made it difficult for me to get involved in the story. However, once I got used to the style I completely fell in love with this first book in a dystopia series that I can't wait to continue (fortunately it works great as a stand-alone as well!)

Tunnel Vision by Susan Shaw
The premise of this one was very exciting and suspenseful but unfortunately the writing didn't live up to my initial interest in the plot.  The teenage voice sounds incredibly young for sixteen and for a mystery thriller the story itself was pretty boring.

What I plan to read this week:

Gluten-Free, Hassle Free: A Simple, Sane, Dietitian-Approved Program for Eating Your Way Back To Health by Marlisa Brown
As a recently diagnosed celiac, I've learned that living gluten-free is a lot more difficult than I imagined and I'm taking all the help I can get, starting with this helpful lifestyle guide (+ delicious sounding recipes). I'm already half done so I don't think I'll have a problem finishing this one.

Centuries of June by Keith Donohue
This is for a book tour I technically should have posted on Friday, but after getting back from vacation I didn't have as much reading time as I would have hoped. Plus it's very weird and not something I want to rush reading. I've got 100 pages left and am hoping to finish it today, there may be a review up this evening.

The Book of Lies by Mary Horlock
Also for an upcoming book tour, I'm loving this one so far although the switching between writing styles is a bit jarring, the main character is really interesting and I am definitely intrigued by the plot.

What Language Is: And What it Isn't and What it Could Be by John H. McWhorter
This one is also for a book tour and it's fairly short so I hope to get it read after I finish up the Donoghue. The non-fiction book based in linguistics premise reminds me a little of The Pun Also Rises, which was interesting, and I'm hoping to learn lots from this book as well.

The Secret Lives of People In Love by Simon Van Booy
Might be a little overly ambitious with my list, but I read his second collection of short stories, Love Begins in Winter, while on vacation and I loved loved it. This is also for an upcoming book tour and I know that if I get a chance to start it, I will definitely finish it, as Van Booy's writing is incredibly lovely and easy to devour.

What do you think of this meme? Do you find it takes too much time to complete or do you like the organization and planning of it? What are you reading this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!