Monday, August 22, 2011

It’s Monday, what are you reading? (4)

Hosted at Book Journey. I'm really enjoying this meme actually, gives me a great chance to see what kind of reviews I can look forward to on other peoples' blogs as well as keeping me on track with my own reading. I had a productive week, mainly due to a lot of (mermaid) YA but that's okay, sometimes you just need to read something that doesn't make your brain hurt too much! Now to catch up on the corresponding reviews...

Last week I finished reading:
The Diviner's Tale by Bradford Morrow
I expected this to be a lot more intense than it was, Morrow has lovely writing but the story itself was not really that exciting.

Addicted: Notes From the Belly of the Beast edited by Lorna Crozier and Patrick Lane
Ten fantastic and powerful true stories about Canadian writers and their addictions struggles, focuses mainly on alcohol but they are incredible and moving.

Lost Voices by Sarah Porter
I ended up listening to Lost Voices on audio before reading Ripple, so it was my first mermaid book, and I really enjoyed it. Porter uses lovely language and Luce was a great main character. Be sure to check out my review.

Vital Signs by Tessa McWatt
Not at all what I was expecting, but a powerful book nonetheless. Kinda reminds me of Hisham Matar's Anatomy of a Disappearance meets Lisa Genova's Still Alice in a weird way. That analogy probably only makes sense to me. Anyone?

Ripple by Mandy Hubbard
I actually enjoyed this a surprising amount, unfortunately Hubbard's previous books don't really catch my attention but I'll definitely keep an eye on what she publishes in the future.

Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs
It was the week of the mermaids! I decided to dive into another fishy tale on my TBR list after having the sequel arrive this week. This one is a little bit like the film Aquamarine, but better. It was definitely the least dark of the three- and has the prettiest cover- and I enjoyed all the fish-related puns. Of course, I am also totally in love with Quince.

Stork by Wendy Delsol
My next audio adventure, the sequel to this novel, Frost, is on Netgalley so I figured I'd listen to this one first. Gabrielle Carolina's rave review at The Mod Podge Bookshelf convinced me and I'm glad she did, it's both hilarious and engaging.

Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough
Started on this audiobook after I finished Stork as I spent five hours in the car this weekend giving me a chance to listen to a good dent of it. It didn't completely blow me away but I did enjoy it and look forward to checking out the sequel, Always a Witch.

Fins Are Forever by Tera Lynn Childs
I had to dive into the followup after finishing Forgive My Fins. To be honest, it wasn't as good, but I'll definitely be checking out more by Tera Lynn Childs in the future, maybe her new upcoming Sweet Venom trilogy.

What I plan to read this week:

Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma
I got distracted by mermaids (see above) and as much as I am looking forward to this I need to be in the right mood for a book. Planning to read it this week though, the first paragraph already has me entranced.

Wherever You Go by Joan Leegant
I've been doing an awesome job lately of staying ahead of the book tour game, and this is my most recent tour arrival. I won't be reviewing it till September but I do hope to get a head start on it this week.

There is No Dog by Meg Rosoff
A teenage boy is a neglectful God in this very odd and unusual novel, I haven't read anything by Rosoff before but have heard good things about her novel How I Live Now and her most recent book is supposed to be quite captivating. I guess I'll find out if that's in a good or a bad way this week!

Frost by Wendy Delsol
I loved Stork so I'm excited to dive into its sequel this week, thank you Netgalley! Delsol is hilarious and engaging and I'm sure this book will be more of the same.

Always A Witch by Carolyn MacCullough
It'll be a week with many sequels I guess as I definitely plan to read this one to find out what happens to Tamsin and her family. I believe this one takes place almost entirely in the past which intrigues me.

Lark by Tracey Porter
This one reminds me a little of The Lovely Bones and it's short but sounds like it will be quite haunting. It just arrived and I'm very interested to read it.

Hereafter by Tara Hudson
I need a new audiobook to start this week, and although I don't know if I'll finish I figure this is as good a one as any to try, plus it's a recent release and a debut. It's a bit outside my usual genres of reading but I find YA tends to make for better audiobooks as I don't like listening to something that is twenty or thirty hours long. I just hope Hudson doesn't leave it on a terrible cliffhanger like so many first books in a series seem to be these days, I want a complete story! The cover is pretty creepy...

What are you reading this Monday?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!