Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: The Raising

 "Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases.
The Raising by Laura Kasischke looks like a creepy and exciting novel that manages a mystery without forsaking good writing. Kasischke has written a few books before, including The Life Before Her Eyes which was made into a film starring Uma Thurman that I saw, although I haven't picked up the novel yet. However if The Raising is as good as it sounds, I'll certainly be looking into the rest of Kasischke's books afterwards. 
The accident was tragic, yes. Bloody and horrific and claiming the life of a beautiful young sorority girl. NICOLE was a straight A student from a small town. Sweet-tempered, all-American, a former Girl Scout, and a virgin. But it was an accident. And that was last year. It’s fall again, a new semester, a fresh start.

CRAIG, who has not been charged with murder, is focusing on his classes, and also on avoiding Nicole’s sorority sisters, who seem to blame him for her death even though the police did not.

PERRY, Craig’s roommate, is working through his own grief (he grew up with Nicole, after all, and had known her since kindergarten) by auditing Professor Polson’s sociology class: Death, Dying, and the Undead.

MIRA has been so busy with her babies—two of them, twins, the most perfect boys you could imagine, but still a nearly impossible amount of work even with Clark’s help—that she can barely keep herself together to teach (Death, Dying and the Undead), let alone write the book she'll need to publish for tenure.

And SHELLY, who was the first person at the scene of the accident, has given up calling the newspapers to tell them that, despite the "lake of blood" in which they keep reporting the victim was found, the girl Shelly saw that night was not bloody, and not dead.
The Raising will be published March 15th 2011 by Harper Perennial.

What are you Waiting on this Wednesday? Leave links in the comments and be sure to let me know if you're a new follower so I can stop by your site.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds really good! Definitely going on my To Read List! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness! This sounds like a really good book, how have I not heard of it yet. Thank you for the Wow post without it I wouldn't be able to add this to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow no pun intended but this blurb sold me on this book. Thanks for putting it on my radar.
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!