Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Compulsion

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases.
I'm particularly interested in books which deal with different forms of mental illness, or "issue" books. One of my favourite young adult novels is definitely Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson. Compulsion by Heidi Ayarbe seems to take on obsessive compulsive disorder, which I also found interesting to read about in Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann.
Saturday will be the third state soccer championship in a row for Jake Martin. Three. A good number. Prime. Carson High can’t lose because Jake has the magic: a self-created protection generated by his obsession with prime numbers. It’s the magic that has every top soccer university recruiting Jake, the magic that keeps his family safe, and the magic that suppresses his anxiety attacks. But the magic is Jake’s prison, because sustaining it means his compulsions take over nearly every aspect of his life.

Jake’s convinced the magic will be permanent after Saturday, the perfect day, when every prime has converged. Once the game is over, he won’t have to rely on his sister, Kasey, to concoct excuses for his odd rituals. His dad will stop treating him like he is some freak. Maybe he’ll even make a friend other than Luc.

But what if the magic doesn’t stay? What if the numbers never leave?
Compulsion will be published May 1st 2011 by Balzer + Bray (HarperCollins).

How do you feel about novels that deal with mental illness, or other "issue" books? What are you waiting on this Wednesday?

5 comments:

  1. This sounds good. I have not read many books that deal with mental illness but the ones I have read I enjoyed. I haven't chosen my Waiting on Wednesday book yet, I will let you know when I do! In the meantime, I reviewed Brother/Sister by Sean Olin yesterday, check it out!
    http://lostinyawonderland.blogspot.com/2011/03/review-brothersister-by-sean-olin.html

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds really good. I might have to check it out! Also, for some reason I really like that cover. x)

    Here's my WOW if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK so now I am worried about Jake and what will happen after Saturday. This is definitely going on my wishlist.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/03/waiting-on-wednesday-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am soooo looking forward to this one too! I love issue books as well. Cryer's Cross was great, I really loved hearing about her OCD. That sounds kinda weird! But it's true!

    Taming the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one looks really good. I have Cryer's Cross in my TBR pile by my bed. It's waiting patiently. :)

    Reading Lark's WOW

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!