Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Alone in the Classroom

 "Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases.

I've been trying to read more Canadian literature over the last year and one upcoming Canadian novel I am very much looking forward to is Alone in the Classroom by Elizabeth Hay.
In 1930, a school principal in Saskatchewan is suspected of abusing a student. Seven years later, on the other side of the country, a girl picking wild cherries meets a violent end. These are only two of the mysteries in the life of the narrator's charismatic aunt, Connie Flood. As the narrator Anne pieces together her aunt's lifelong attachment to her former student Michael Graves, and her obsession with Parley Burns, the inscrutable principal implicated in the assault of Michael's younger sister. Her own story becomes connected with that of the past, and the triangle of principal, teacher, student opens out into other emotional triangles -- aunt, niece, lover; mother, daughter, granddaughter -- until a sudden, capsizing love changes Anne's life. Alone in the Classroom is Hay's most tense, intricate, and seductive novel yet.

Alone in the Classroom will be published on April 26th 2011 by McClelland & Stewart.

Do you try to read books written by authors from your native country? Any other Canadian author recommendations? What are you waiting on this Wednesday? 

4 comments:

  1. Where a book comes from doesn't really matter to me. I live in the US so a lot of the authors (YA) live here, so I guess I've never really thought about it much. Anyways, great pick!

    Here is my WOW pick if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't heard of this one. love the cover though, the colors are lovely. great pick!

    where an author lives doesn't matter to me, if a book looks good i pick it up.

    If you have a chance, please stop by my WoW post . Happy reading :)

    -Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book seems a bit on the sad side. But it sound like it will be good.

    Right now I am waiting on Chronicles of Nick: Invincible. Not so much the book but the time to read it. In my mind I was telling myself to hurry up and finish the book I am currently reading. I had to yell at myself because the book that is being read deserves my attention as well.

    Please do stop by for a crumpet, find out about a new MeMe & to check out my newest giveaway :)

    Mad Scientist
    Steampunkery & Book Reviews
    Forbidden Steam  Adult- even the Mad Scientist gets naughty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zoe, this sounds like a wonderful pick. It is the first I've heard of it so thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!