NEW YORK, NEW YORK author Rob Silverman's
- FoodsOfNY (http://www.foodsofny.com/) is a little known, but amazing company that specializes in walking and eating tours of New York City. Most NY folks do not know about this gem. My whole family did the Greenwich Village tour and never had so much fun! Kids love it and get to sample authentic NYC foods and for this tour. It's a wonderful way to see the beloved village-and get some great pastry!
- The New Museum on The Bowery (http://www.newmuseum.org/) is in a funky part of New York City just by NOLITA (north of Little Italy) and not often visited. A GREAT museum for the whole family. Very innovative and not many people know about it. Exhibitions use various forms of media too. Off the beaten track and a great secret!
- MAKE (http://www.makemeaning.
com/contact-us). This store is on the Upper West side and not many folks know that you can make soap, candles and a whole host of pottery items here. My family can whittle away hours here and it stimulates the kids' creativity and love of art. A great anytime activity.
- Go to Max Brenner (http://www.maxbrenner.com/) near Union square and indulge in a Chocolate fantasy that will tickle your taste buds and satisfy your kids' sweet tooth.
- When Mom shops on Madison Avenue and Fifth Avenue take the kids to the Sony Wonder Technology Lab in Midtown Manhattan. It's free, it's fun, it's cutting edge and very educational not to mention free of tourists. When the kids have had enough of that take them to the Sony store next door that recently opened up a Play Station lounge downstairs.
- Dress for the weather and do a Double-decker bus and/or boat tour of New York City without all the long lines and tourists. Or my favorite, take a horse and carriage at night in the Park when you can contrast the tranquility of Central Park with the mayhem surrounding it.
- Have a Bagel-Off! Is the best bagel in NYC from H&H bagels? OR Ess-A-Bagel? (on Upper West and East sides). Visit these NYC institutions to sample and vote.
- Think Skating NYC style. Did you know there are 3 places? (two outdoor and one indoor to relive your childhood skating dreams and teach the kids). There is one in central park, one at Rockefeller Center and one indoors at Chelsea Piers (many don't know about Chelsea Piers).
- People watching NYC style: Go to St Mark's Place/Square in the village, walk up and down the street and take in the sights and sounds of New York City and its hippy and bohemian roots. See the different types of body piercing and tattoos and the wackiest collection of T-shirts New York has to offer!
- Dress up and have a Ladies Who Lunch Day. The spot is of course Fred's at Barneys on Madison Avenue. It is a great celebrity spotting place!
About the Book
What is it like to live in the greatest city in the world?
New York City is so unique that it generates its own culture, its own attitude, and its own exclusiveness. These attributes bring with them tons of idiosyncrasies and quirks that need to be explored and commented on to truly understand what it is like to live, breathe, work, and play here. It’s what makes New York, New York so good they named it twice.
Learn more about the book at http://www.newyorknewyorkbook.com/
Buy your own copy at http://www.amazon.com/New-York-Rob-Silverman/dp/0578062798/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1303216163&sr=1-1
One lucky winner will receive a copy of NEW YORK, NEW YORK: So Good They Named It Twice An Irreverent Guide to Experiencing and Living in the Greatest City in the World by Rob Silverman.
To enter, you must be a follower of this blog. Leave a comment letting me know if you've ever visited the Big Apple- and if not, do you ever plan to go? Make sure to include your e-mail address so I can contact you if you win!
The giveaway is open to US address only, no PO Boxes. It will end May 4th at 11:59 PM MST.
Thanks to Rob and Tandem Literary for sponsoring this giveaway. Good luck to everyone!