Sunday, March 16, 2014

Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott


I read Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott last year when I was looking for some writing inspiration, and also because it had been recommended again and again as a must-read book for writers (which I like to dabble in sometimes, although not so much over the last year! Perhaps I should be rereading this...)

In terms of how I felt about this book... well I would have been better off telling you a year ago. However, I can say that although it was an interesting and good book to read, I wasn't the hugest fan of her voice in some instances and probably wouldn't pick up any of her other work. There was also something about this just didn't feel as exciting and innovative, but that may just be because it has been referred to and shared so much over the years. I guess I wanted to be really inspired by this book, but I have always been more inspired by reading other writer's stories than by reading about writing.

That said, Bird by Bird is full of advice that is good to remember and to know that you're not alone in those struggles. It's not a book I was blown away by like I expected to be, but it is definitely one I may pick up again in the future for a little motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day!