Sunday, August 05, 2012

Classics Club Master List

I've decided to join a long-term classics challenge. I love reading contemporary titles, but getting books for review means that I've tended to neglect older ones. Anyway, I've made a starter list. They are almost all titles I haven't read before, with the exception of Le Petit Prince and Dorian Gray, and I also included fifty different authors for my own personal take on the challenge. The list is allowed be modified throughout the challenge– the real goal is simply to read fifty classics or more.

Start Date: August 5th 2012
Finish Date: August 5th 2015

Books Read (1/50):
  1.  Aesop's Fables by Aesop
  2. --
  3. --
Original List:
  1. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
  2. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
  3. The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury
  4. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
  5. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
  6. My Ántonia by Willa Cather 
  7. The Duel by Anton Chekov 
  8. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
  9. Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry 
  10. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevesky
  11. The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas 
  12. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier  
  13. The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
  14. Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald  
  15. Madame Bovary by Gustav Flaubert
  16. Room With a View by E. M. Forster
  17. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
  18. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
  19. Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy 
  20. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
  21. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
  22. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving 
  23. Daisy Miller by Henry James
  24. The Dubliners by James Joyce
  25. The Trial by Franz Kafka
  26. On the Road by Jack Kerouac
  27. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey
  28. Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D. H. Lawrence
  29. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  30. Beloved by Toni Morrison
  31. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
  32. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
  33. The Wine of Solitude by Irène Némirovsky
  34. Swann’s Way by Marcel Proust
  35. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
  36. Franny and Zooey by J. D. Salinger
  37. As You Like It by William Shakespeare
  38. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith 
  39. East of Eden by John Steinbeck
  40. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson 
  41. Rosencratz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard
  42. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy 
  43. Candide by Voltaire 
  44. The House of Mirth by Edith Warton 
  45. The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G. Wells  
  46. Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
  47. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
  48. The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams
  49. The Waves by Virgina Woolf
  50. Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates
Three years may seem like a lot, and I'll be happy if I can finish earlier, but I still have plenty of other books I want to keep reading. I want to make a conscious effort to include more classics, but I'm not going to be suddenly only reading them; at least at this point.

If you're interested in joining this Classics Club, you can learn more about it here. In the meantime, I hope that you enjoy seeing a few more older titles on In The Next Room. Hopefully it'll expose both you, and me, to classic literature in a fun and interactive way.

Time for me to get reading!

1 comment:

  1. Jane Eyre! To Kill a Mockingbird!East of Eden! On the Road! So many of my favourites are on your list!:-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!