Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Film Feature: Water for Elephants

Water for Elephants is an extremely vivid book by Sara Gruen which tells of Jacob Jankowski who ran away after his parents died and joined the circus as a vet, meeting a colourful cast of people along the way including the beautiful (but married) Marlena.
In August, I read and reviewed the book, loving Gruen's language but often wishing that the characters went a little bit deeper (click for review).  I am curious to see how their portrayals transfer onto the screen, because I do think the right actors could bring them to life in a way that was slightly lacking on the page, taking them out of the realm of stereotype and into reality. In my review, I expressed doubt at the ability of Robert Pattinson to pull off the role of Jacob, but from my initial viewings of the trailer it seems I may be mistaken.
Reese Witherspoon plays Marlena in the film, and although she is slightly older of an actress than I would have expected for the role, I certainly think she is capable of pulling it off. I do hope that the elephant in the circus, Rosie, who is basically a character in the book maintains her central role in the film as Gruen has a unique and beautiful way of humanizing animals in both Water for Elephants and her latest novel, Ape House.
Crucially important to the success of the film will be the chemistry between Pattinson, Witherspoon, and Marlena's husband, August, who is played by Christopher Waltz. The movie is certain to have drama, as director Francis Lawrence is best known for the epic I Am Legend. The film adaption of Water for Elephants is set to be released April 22nd, 2011.
Of course, the novel is available in most bookstores and online but I have included the trailer for the film below:

Are you planning to see Water for Elephants? If so, did you read the book, and how do you think the two will compare?

8 comments:

  1. Wow,the story line from looking at the trailer seems beautiful and magical. I haven't read it yet, but I'll watch the movie first then read the book. The story reminds me of Moulin Rouge, but instead of prostitutes and bohemianism, it's a circus and a married woman :) awesome post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy book-turn-movie-trailers lately!! ahh I can't wait to see this. I have not read the book, but I probably should before I see the movie, huh? I LOVE Robert Pattinson. And no, not just because he is Edward.. but because he is beautiful & I think he has the potential for awesome things: see the movie Remember Me if you don't agree, & google his musical talents :-)

    And why have I not been following your blog?! Adding it to my blog roll NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i cannot wait to see this movie! i loved the book and fell so in love with rosie the elephant. and i heart reese so i think it'll be great!

    not an rpats fan but i will definitely give him a try on this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to read this book! Have been meaning to for ages and this is the second feature I have read on the movie today - I think its a sign. I dont love Robert Pattison but I think its because I associate him with Twilight, I should probably give the guy a break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the book. I think I would even consider it one of my top ten. And as I read the book I could see both Reese and Robert doing a fantastic job with both characters and I don't think anyone could have been cast any better. I am PSYCHED for this movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even know they were making this book into a movie. This is news to me. I haven't read the book yet but it's on my list. Guess I better get reading! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read this before the movie comes out. I have it, just got to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I listened to Water for Elephants on audio a while back and really liked it. I do think it will adapt well for the screen, though I'm not wild about the casting. I tend to like a story in the format I first experience, though--audio, print, or film--and not subsequent formats, so I probably won't see this one.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day!